Friday, May 24, 2013

Jaws says Chip Kelly O will not work in NFL

Here's the interview, http://www.975thefanatic.com/teams/eagles/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10546753

Quite bluntly, Jaws said he doesn't think Kelly's offense will work in the league.

"I've had a number of conversations with Chip, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for what he's done at the collegiate level," Jaworski said. "It's going to be interesting to see if this style of offense projects to the NFL. I'm going to say no. But again, I hope I'm wrong, because I want Chip and the Eagles to be successful. But when Chip was hired, I went back and looked at some Oregon offense. I studied five or six of their games. Last week, I looked at two more games.

"I just don't see NFL passing concepts in this offense. It's a movement offense by the quarterback off the run-action, off the read-action, a lot of short, quick passes, dart routes, bubble screens, very few plays down the field with NFL passing concepts. It's easy to say, 'Yeah, it worked in college.' Then I looked at a game like Stanford, a good defensive football team shut them down.

"Again, I hope it works, I like the innovation, but I think it's going to be difficult. The NFL is a different league with fast players that have all week to prepare for you. At the collegiate level, you have 20 hours to prepare for that Oregon offense. Take out three hours of game time, you've got 17 hours in the course of a week to practice and prepare for that style of offense. It kills you in college, but in the NFL, these guys work 17 hours a day getting ready. There are no secrets."

Jaws also expressed skepticism that Kelly's high-tempo practices would work with a smaller roster and so many injured players.


No comments: